Saturday, February 6, 2010

In Uncharacteristic Defense of Ground Poultry


Turkey, to be precise. Lean ground turkey, apparently "raised in humane conditions" if I am to trust the packaging. I have been mad for turkey zucchini loaf - or turkeyloaf - to which I add grated carrot, diced mushrooms, and heaps of chopped parsley. Delicious. And very portable for work. Easy to crumble a slice into rice and beans, or over quinoa with veggies.

So now I've decided to take the turkey even further. I want to increase my protein intake from both animal and vegetable sources; I still wish to be muscular and lean, in spite of my current interest in candy bars. O, futility! (But mini candy bar sizes are helpful for calorie control, and crispy bars are often lower in fat than solid bars.) This is what I tell myself.

Back to the turkey. Tonight I made turkey chili with three kinds of beans and fresh parsley, grated carrot, and...well, I forgot the stewed tomatoes, so I used a jar of mild salsa instead. AND IT WORKED. I took the suggestion from this online recipe for Mom's Chili Beans. I used dry beans bought in bulk, and I soaked those suckers and cooked them for a good while. Plus some garlic, my turkey, my lovely parsley. No chili powder - which I dislike - so I used cajun seasoning for color and slight flavor. And it's a pleasing, filling, high-protein low-fat final product. Also, pinto beans are amazing.

Need to figure out how to work in more veggies, though. Perhaps I can serve my chili over diced zucchini and mushrooms and brown rice. Hmm.

The only question left is, what is the side effective of excesssive turkey tryptophans? HA. My second cup of tea every day is preventing me from getting the afternoon sleepies, so I think I'm set.

I'm also trying high-intensity interval training (all kinds of ridiculous modified squats and lunges and pushups and planks in my living room), and am walking longer distances with Aster. Plus all this eating of high-protein low-fat food. Along with the candy. THE CANDY.

Omg, side planks and full planks are my new best friends. I can almost see myself with a flat stomach. Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment