Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hot Mess In A Bowl


I have been hesitant to eat undercooked brussels sprouts, what with my history trying to eat onions and all. I like to avoid The Bloat whenever possible, because The Bloat is just not sexy. I enjoy feeling sexy.

So it was with tremulous hope that I made sauteed - and faintly poached - quartered brussel sprouts in my wok with baby portabella mushrooms and crushed smoked almonds. A little balsamic. Then an egg for scrambling and a sprinkle of feta cheese. I was looking for a variety of complementary textures for breakfast. Plus toast, and it turned into a hot mess in a bowl. Very tasty.

Last night, I made a very similar supper for myself - mostly out of desperation, since I was low on prepared food. But there were no bloating after effects, despite the tender-crispness of the sprouts. So I am optimistic about my breakfast not causing digestive upset! Now I can eat cruciferous vegetables with a little crunch left to them? Maybe it's just the onions, after all.

So begins Cooking Experiments in preparation for Thanks-eating. Much excitement!

Oat and honey bread is a little high on the flour for me, but I'm counting on the oat bran to keep things hearty. A nice balance between crunch and chewiness. Faint sweetness compliments my bitter tender-crisp mini cabbages and earthy mushrooms. Huzzah.

No comments:

Post a Comment