Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Breakfast Soup

Like so many other gastronomical wonders, the creation of Breakfast Soup was a happy accident. I had intended to make a puree/chowder of sorts with beautiful newly-dug potatoes from the farmer's market. There was some frozen broccoli in the freezer... I know, the travesty of combining the frozen with the fresh! In the end, the broccoli was so withered and freezer burnt, I couldn't use it. Who knows how long it had been in there.

But there was some frozen organic corn that I recalled buying. Into the steaming pot of boiled new potatoes went the corn niblets. Later, I added sage and white pepper and salt and milk. And pureed.

At first, it was glue. More milk. Still gluey. So I put it aside to cool, then slid it into the fridge, thinking of it as "potato corn pudding".

But this morning, I added several spoonful of pudding to a mug, added more skim milk, then microwaved - voila! Palatable and faintly sweet, faintly saged Breakfast Soup. Warming and easy to sip. I approve.

Also from the Copley Farmer's Market: red chard so beautiful, it breaks my heart. A little of that mixed into scrambled eggs with garlic, and it will handsomely top off my brown rice lunch.

More chard to cook up tonight. All the greens at Copley are organic, though lower priced than organic supermarket produce. And in fair temperatures, all the greens are ethereally beautiful. There was red Russian kale, which I had never seen before. They had Caribbean callaloo, Tuscan Kale, spring onions, fresh basil, broccoli so fresh I almost didn't recognize it.

Oo, wikipedia tells me that chard is another name for beet greens. A rose by any other name...

No comments:

Post a Comment