Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Maybe a Sazerac

In a bizarre turn of events, I have decided that rye whiskey with bitters, on ice, is possibly my favorite drink of the moment. This is like the minimalist version of a Sazerac cocktail; the recipe from cocktailmixer.com follows.

1 tsp sugar
1 1/2 oz rye whiskey
1 dash Deva® absinthe
2 dashes Peychaud® bitters
2 dashes Angostura® bitters
1 twist lemon peel
ice

Chill an old-fashioned glass by filling with crushed ice. In another glass mix the sugar with the bitters dissolving the sugar. Add some ice, stirring to chill. In the old-fashioned glass remove the ice and pour in the absinthe coating the entire glass. Remove the excess absinthe. Add the rye whiskey and bitters/sugar mixture. Add the lemon twist.

-----------------------------------------

Sounds grand. That'll be my next experimental bar order, I think. That, or a Negroni. Which will get me the weirdest look? Also, I was thinking that combining a Manhattan with an Old-Fashioned would make...an Old Man. Surely this cocktail pun has occurred to others.

I enjoy my rye with bitters, on ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment