Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Golden Beet


So I bought some bright, carmine-colored beets at the Copley farmer's market the other day. Looking forward to beet greens and to the beets themselves, of course. Tonight I sauteed the greens and boiled the bastards. Didn't knick the beets even a little bit, just washed them, left generous stems on them, left the roots alone...and plunked 'em in boiling water for 55 minutes.

When I checked back, they were no longer carmine. They were golden yellow.

My first thought = Omg, BUNNICULA WAS HERE.

Okay, so I guess these must be golden beets. The unicorn of root vegetables! Who knew. Taking the skins off was fine; each beet is smooth and golden, with a blush of almon pink at both the stem end and the root end. Speaking of salmon, slicing the beets really looked a lot like slicing salmon sashimi. Or some kind of raw, beautiful fish. The layers of the beet - like the layers of an onion - look like the fat layers in a cold-water fish like salmon. So...yeah, my mind was freaking out. Hoping for sashimi, but tasting a mildly sweet beet.

Sweet beet.

I'm too sleepy to pep them up with vinegar, and I don't have any blue cheese. Drat! Perhaps they'll take a low-key vinaigrette tomorrow.

Don't the pictures remind you of peaches? Golden and kissed with reddish pink...I need a better camera phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment