Sunday, June 14, 2009

Whiskey Cocktails, Hangover Breakfasts

In my search for new and not-too-sweet whiskey cocktails to sample, I came across a drink called a Rusty Nail. It's Scotch whisky, Drambuie (a Scotch whisky liquer made with herbs and honey), and a lemon twist. On ice. I ordered it from the very friendly bartender in the Midway, and I enjoyed it very much. Slightly medicinal, but indeed, not too sweet. Next, perhaps I will try ordering a Manhattan. I also ordered a whiskey and ginger ale, which was just fine; there's a camera phone pic to prove that I was still walking around after the whiskey and ginger, but my memory is not bringing back a lot of information. Other than bobbing along in a small crowd, like a cork in a stream! Nice - a high level of debauchery (for me), in a low-key environment. It's practice for the larger clubs, I say.

Normally my post-alcohol breakfast would be something very savory, with a salty and spicy element. Like maybe poached egg over toast with greens and sriracha. Mmm. But today I'm trying something sweet: shredded oats, sliced organic strawberries, sliced banana, a little peach kefir, and skim milk. Accompanied by hot cranberry juice doctored up with licorice-mint tea and sugar.

The verdict is Super Tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment