Saturday, August 15, 2009

Calorie Math: Booze

The booze math! I did it. It was me. Courtesy of www.nutritiondata.com and my desk calculator.

So, 12 ounces of regular beer is about 150 calories (13 calories per ounce).

Likewise, 6 ounces of cabernet sauvignon is about 140 calories (23 calories per ounce).

And 2 ounces of spirits - for instance, 86 proof anything - is also about 140 calories. That's 70 calories per ounce.

A single serving of spirits is generally 2 ounces. Mixing the spirit with juice or soda will, of course, increase the calories. A cocktail with ice, bitters, and lemon juice totally beats out a rum and Coke. Unless it's a Diet Coke.

Alas, 3 of my cocktails pack a 420 calorie punch - approximately the caloric load of a good lunch. Perhaps I can substitute steamed green beans as snack food and carrot juice for a "cocktail".

No comments:

Post a Comment