Saturday, August 15, 2009

Cheer for the Poor


Despite the heat, my Saturday brunch required some fancy griddling. Started with slices of whole-wheat ciabatta, one organic cage-free egg, some organic skim milk, and some cinnamon and brown sugar. Made up some egg solution with a touch of sweetness and salt to accompany the cinnamon. Dredged bread ("don't be such a bread-dredge, don't be such an egg-sponge!") and griddled the soaked slices in butter and a little non-stick spray. Golden brown and crispy on both sides, still tender in the middle. Ran out of egg solution so toasted the remaining slice in some of the butter, then spread with blackberry jam.

My beverage is milk with a little tea, ice cubes, and some lavender syrup. I am all about the lavender syrup right now. Great in everything?

I splurged a little, buying $3 ciabatta, but I love it. It makes superior toast.

I am becoming adept at surviving on $20 a week with Co-op groceries. I could probably buy double the stuff at a regular grocery store, but the Co-op is close and on my bus route. Plus, it makes me happy to buy my organic milk and cage-free eggs. And I'm not sick of eating short-grain brown rice. (Yet.)

Perfect French toast. I rock. Awesome, though somewhat lonely breakfast. Perhaps some skating later, though mostly I just want to lay on an ice pack and read.

Yesterday, I recycled some Chinese fast food: dubious chicken teriyaki kabobs with some sort of sweet glaze were sliced and sauteed with some fresh broccoli, fresh garlic, and a little soy sauce. A sprinkle of water rinsed some of the glaze from the chicken and allowed it to coat the broccoli. This whole process made the chicken sticks much more palatable, and resulted in two servings of chicken and broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment