Friday, August 7, 2009

Pasta Conflict

So, I've historically felt conflicted about whole-wheat pasta. Like, I assumed it was mushy and/or unpleasant to eat. But just the other day, I took a chance on some whole-wheat penne at the store. Considering I've been eating lots of pasta, and like everyone else in the world, I could use more fiber.

I had a simple dish in mind: Diced stewed tomatoes from a can (with a nice salty punch to them), plus tofu that had been browned in sesame oil with garlic slices. Ideally, I would have had some extra eggplant cubes and some fresh basil, but I can do that next time. So, once the tofu is nicely browned and looking chewy, I mix it with the tomatoes and some of their juice. Continue cooking some of the juices off. And then spoon over al dente pasta.

And I was so wrong about the pasta being mushy or unpleasant. In fact, it was delicious. Slightly tastier than regular pasta. And the tomato and tofu simmer that Hannah cooked me a long time ago is still just as good as it was then. Tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment