Monday, August 31, 2009

Spaghetti Squash


Okay, it's a great substitute for angel hair pasta. And it's tasty - nutty, faintly sweet, with pleasing mouth-feel. So far I've halved the squash crosswise and then microwaved each half for 15 minutes. Then I lift out the seeds and scrape the pasta-like flesh into a container. I wok up some items to mix into the squash: steamed broccoli, steamed green beans, crispy tofu, poached chicken, stir-fry beef cubes, steamed eggplant, portabella mushrooms, steamed wheat berries, etc. Broccoli seems to the overall winner with the squash. Plus stir-fry beef and mushrooms, and it's pretty hearty. Wheat berries also taste very pleasing with the squash.

One $4.00 package of stir-fry beef can last the entire week if you dice it, cook it with mushrooms and garlic, and add it to a vat of squash and broccoli. Toothsome, but not pretty. Thus, no camera pics.

I am obsessed with spaghetti squash. My roommate watched incredulously as I scraped "spaghetti" from a halved squash still steaming from the microwave. She just can't get over it. I'm just happy to share the joys of eating obscure and very tasty vegetables for cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment