Thursday, March 12, 2009

All I Cook is Glop

So, instead of roasting veggies or making soup this week, I thought I'd make some green curry with veggies and tofu. Easy enough, I have tofu, I could buy bamboo shoots and green curry paste, make some rice...I bought some shitake mushrooms, a tiny eggplant, some snow peas. I was going all out. And then I realized that the Co-op no longer carries green curry paste or bamboo shoots: their "ethnic" section has been reduced to peanut sauce and soy sauce sauce, basically. LAMEST of the lame.

So I bought some short-grain brown rice and went home. I stir-fried the eggplant and mushrooms with garlic, and a little water to prevent burning. The eggplant became tender as I'd hoped, but then I kept on cooking and it became...a mush. Tasty, but a mush. Into this I added soy sauce, thick slabs of zucchini, red chili sauce. I oiled up a cookie sheet and threw some chili-sauce-rubbed tofu "frites" on that sucker, then baked it for 30 minutes at 375°, and the results were to-frites with a chewy, golden brown thing happening. Very tasty with chili sauce treatment! These I added to my eggplant/veggie glop. And because the eggplant hadn't already soaked up enough oil, I made a thin peanut-sauce replacement for my missing green curry paste. Mixed it all up, ate it over brown rice. It's greasy, but tasty. Though I am a bit frustrated with eating more glop for dinner.

Next week I'll have another attempt at making food with greater structural integrity. (Lentils and mushrooms and spinach stuffed into a phyllo pie sound really good right now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment