Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday Breakfast, with Pics!


Yesterday I went to the ghetto Stop & Shop, looking for cheap produce, reduced produce, sales on ice cream, and reduced dog biscuits. I didn't find the reduced produce - even though I called to ask when they put it out, so I think my timing was wrong - but I did find ENORMOUS bundles of collard greens in excellent condition. For el cheapo. So I bought two enormous bundles - the total for both was about $3.00, which is less than I pay for five organic collard leaves at the Co-op. I am swimming in pretty collards.

Other acquisitions were 14 ounces of blackberries on sale - yum! Also, 2 champagne mangoes because they are super. (A woman shouldered up to me while I was looking at the mangoes, and asked me what they were, how to tell if they were ripe, what the big deal was...I was only too happy to oblige! Would be fun to a fruit-and-vegetable reference librarian, carrying my Produce Field Guide in my apron.) Bought inexpensive sliced white mushrooms, some sweet potatoes, small container of chocolate soy milk... Found some discounted Scotch tape and safety envelopes, sure. Didn't find discounted dog chewies or biscuits, but did procure a reasonably priced 5-pack of ground and bacon-flavored rawhide wrapped in a regular rawhide stick: a fine chew for Aster, who has been chew-less for about a week. Bought some shredded mozzarella on a tiny sale.

The ice cream sale turned out to be wild: 2 Breyers for $6.00, any flavor! No low-fat mint chip, must to my consternation. Ended up with low-fat vanilla and rocky road, plus some fancy diet root beer in a glass bottle. Still on my root beer float kick.

So, didn't end up spending that much money, and found lots of items for eating in the coming week. Will have to get some eggs, pears, and TANGELOS at the Co-op. Possibly pineapple. Since my phlegm-war, I have been avoiding milk and other dairy. (Ice cream is dairy, but... I obviously can't live without it.) Thus more eggs and home-fries for breakfast, less cereal or oatmeal. Tasty! But ultimately I must go back to low-fat breakfast during the week, followed by tasty unctuous weekend breakie.

Today's tastiness was the last of my lacinato kale, potatoes, mushrooms, all sauteed in garlic oil and topped with a foached egg. Accompanied by blackberries, and a small glass of chocolate soy milk. Pictured above.

No comments:

Post a Comment